27 Sept 2013

CHILLI CHEESE CORN BREAD MY BEST EVER


This is one of the most gorgeous delicious corn breads I have every made and eaten.  The corn bread is super moist from the onions and sweetcorn and the cheese gives a great depth of flavour, the chillies add a hint of zing which makes this cornbread the best I have ever made.
 
 
 
INGREDIENTS
 
100g butter
2 onions finely sliced
1 tsp sugar
4 corn on the cob
4 large eggs
350g cornmeal or polenta
100g plain flour
500ml top gold milk
500g cheddar cheese grated
5 red chillies de-seeded and finely sliced
Large pinch sea salt and black pepper
1 tsp baking powder
 
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.  In a frying pan melt the butter and a dash of ooil, add the onions and gently fry for approx. 20-30minutes, after 20mins add the sugar and cook on until they are wonderfully caramelised, golden brown and sticky.
 
I love to take my corn off the cob, it really does make a huge difference to the flavour, so holding the cob upright on the board I run my knife from top to bottom cutting off all the kernels.  Add these to your onions and cook for a further 5 or so minutes.
 
In a large bowl place our eggs, milk, baking powder, flour and cornmeal, season with salt and pepper, add most of the grated cheese and chillies mix gently but well then add the slightly cooled onion mix.
 
I like to use a tall cake tin greased and lined with greaseproof paper.  Fill your mixture into the tin and bake for approx 35 minutes in your oven, 10 minutes before it's ready pull it out and sprinkle with the left over cheese and chillies and return to the oven. 
 
Leave to cool for 10 minutes or so if you can, I am often impatient at this point because I want a warm moist slice of this delicious cornbread straight form the oven, let alone stop my husband from diving in.  The corn bread is best serve immediately from the oven but you can cook in advance and serve on the same day, and it will still be a show stopper.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment