16 Jun 2014

GAUCHO'S COWBOY RIB EYE 32oz FIRE PIT COOKED STEAK BEST EVER

One of the best pit fired steak's I have ever eaten, Summer is here and I am all excited and want to enjoy as much outdoor cooking and living as I can, even though that is rather limited here in the UK.  This summer I am learning how to cook the Gaucho's cowboy way, a simple way to cook your food on the go over daily made wood fire pits.  This aged steak along with the slow wood fired pit cooking adding that extra flavour, just can't be beaten.  I first had this 32oz cut of steak in 2004 in Gallagher's Steak House from NY in Las Vegas, and have never forgotten it, I don't eat this very often, maybe once, twice a year at most, but oh boy this is a winner winner Gaucho steak dinner.


Glorious aged steak in itself loaded with honest old fashioned fat and flavour, add the slow cooking over wood and BaBoom you elevate the flavours with some glorious soft smokey wood charred notes.


These cuts can be ordered from your butcher in advance, if you can not find these cuts, just look for a rib eye bone in joint of beef and ask the butcher to cut you one rib per person as a steak off the joint, I also asked my butcher to french trim the bone for presentation.  On average each steak will be around 800g.  Great for sharing, unless you live in my house hold !


Crank up your BBQ or fire pit with a wood fire rather than coals, the flavour from the wood adds a really  rich soft woody deep layer to your meat, gorgeous.


Once your wood fire is established and you have white coals with a gently glowing fire your pit is ready to cook on, this is very simple honest cooking, place your steaks on the grill, do not be to eager to turn the steaks, let them seal forming a gorgeous crust before your first turn, once both sides are sealed I take off the steaks and leave to rest for a few minutes, this is so I can control the heat from the fire pit, my fire pit has a hot side and lower heat side for control, place the steak back on the grill on a lower heat area to cook on to your choice of blue, rare, medium or well done.  I cooked these rare towards medium and these took approx 15 minutes on the pit with a few minutes of resting in between and a final 5 minutes resting after cooking, cover with foil to keep warm.  The steak is the main event on your plate and needs no fancy accompaniments, just some sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and served with some green beans.


Leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment