25 Jun 2014

PALEO WOOD FIRED COOKED FILLET STEAK WITH CHILLI COFFEE AND LIME MAYO

Wonderful sumptuous dinner treat, I cooked the centre cut fillet over my wood fired pit which gave the outer crust a soft woody almost but not charred flavour, left the fillet to rest and cool completely, then sliced as thin as I could, in the centre of each fillet slice place a dollop of your homemade coffee chilli and lime mayo, bazaar flavour combo I know but I saw Aussie Bill do this and thought I would add it to my paleo list of foods, place a steam of asparagus, wedge of cuecumber and a sprig of coriander on top of the mayo then fold the left side over the right to make a roll, I cut 16 slices from the fillet and served 3-4 rolls per person. 


INGREDIENTS
(serves 4)
800g centre cut fillet of beef
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
16 sprigs asparagus pre cooked
16 batons cuecumber
16 sprigs of coriander

CHILI COFFEE LIME MAYO
3 egg yolks
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (paleo ish)
Pinch of sea salt and white pepper
300ml rapeseed oil (paleo avocado oil)
1 tsp ground coffee
1/2 half lime juiced
1 tsp harissa chilli paste

To make the quick mayo, place all the ingredients in a blender except the oil and start to blend, add the rapeseed oil slowly at first until you have a thick mayo consistency, taste and adjust the season  if needed.  It really is that easy to make.  To flavour your mayonnaise stir in the coffee, lime juice and harissa.

You can easily cook this in a dry frying pan, just the same as I have over my wood fired pit, I am just having so much fun with my wood fired pit I want to cook everything on it!!!  I seasoned the fillet with salt and black pepper then placed the fillet over the fire pit for approx 15 minutes over a medium heat turning regularly, so that all sides had a chance to rest off the heat while the other side was cooking, this is the almost the same in a dry frying pan, just keep turning every 3 minutes or so, once cooked to rare, rough guide is 9 minutes per lb, rest your meat for 5-10 minutes wrapped in foil.


I like to prep all my ingredients before I start to cook or assemble, so having the cuecumber batons cut to the depth of the fillet, the asparagus steamed, the coriander leaves picked and the mayo made means, after the fillet steak has rested I can take my time to assemble the fillet rolls.


This is a gorgeous super tasty flavoursome pretty dinner that delighted both my eyes and my belly, I just love the paleo lifestyle, I am not paleo perfect and have not intention on being so but I have found myself to be naturally paleo just by removing the grain and legumes food groups, my incentive is weight loss which so far this lifestyle has helped me lose 59lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment