16 Aug 2014

32oz RIBEYE STEAK COWBOY COOKING OVER WOOD FLAMED FIRE PIT

I love this style of cooking, not only do I get to be girl with fire I also get to cook cowboy caveman style, there is something that stirs deep within me when I get to cook half a cow on an open fire, I can't quite explain it but it just feels so right, and what's more the meat always tastes the best I have ever eaten, I would not normally be able to eat such a huge amount of meat in one sitting, but with this dinner I almost manage it all !!!


Ingredients

28-32oz ribeye steak on the bone (tomy hawk cut)
1 wood fired pit
salt and pepper

Rare     55 degrees
Medium rare     60 degrees
Medium     60-65 degrees
Well done     75 degrees

If you do not have a fire pit, it is easy to make a temporary one, take the turf off a metre wide circle and maybe place a few large boulders or stones around edge, not essential, and then throw down a little sand and make your fire, I used bricks loosely stacked either side of the fire pit and as wide as my skewers or grill to give me adjustable height over the fire for cooking, that's it, keep the turf so that you can make good after.


To cook the steak, season with salt and pepper, wait until your established fire has glowing coals and put your steak on the grill, I like to cook the steak over a high heat to sear then to move the steak to a lower heat area for a while and alternate this, I do this so that I don't end up with a heavily charred outer steak, but a level rare cooked steak with the most wonderful woodfired bursting flavoured crust, (do not be tempted to keep turning your steak, I probably only turn my steak a total of 6-8 times over the twenty minutes).  This size steak takes around 20-30 minutes to cook, with a five minute resting time on a warm area of your pit before serving allowing all those gorgeous juices to flow back to the centre of the meat.  You just can't beat this honest flavour.


With this kind of cooking I often just serve with a side of french beans or simple mini roast garlic potatoes, I do not want to distract from the meat, all it want is the meat!  Considering I mainly eat a vegetable diet there is clearly moments when I crave meat, and I really enjoy this occasional dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment