20 Nov 2014

HOME GROWN PICKLED JALAPENOS

My first attempt at preserving went a bit wonky, I loosley read a woolly recipe and did not do any further homework.  I also used a malt vinegar which along with the woolly recipe resulted in inedible lip curling acidic beetroot!

I got my hands on a excellent canning book while on holiday in the states and am really pleased to have successfully preserved my home grown bounty of jalapeños, another step forward in my families journey to a self sufficient lifestyle.


Ingredients
(makes 3 jars)

40 large jalapenos
550ml white vinegar 5%
250ml water
200g sugar
3 jars & lids

Place the white vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer until the sugar has dissolved, meanwhile slice the jalapenos.  Place your clean dry jars and lids in a hot oven 200 degrees for five minutes to sterlize.

Remove your jars and lids from the oven and fill with the sliced jalapenos, fill to the top with the hot pickling vinegar and pop the lids on.  The hot liquid in hot jars will sterlize and preserve the jalapenos, if you want to be extra sure you can place the sealed jars in a canning boiler or deep saucepan with a trivet and boil for ten minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment