21 Aug 2016

HOMEMADE BUTTER

I WILL NEVER BUY BUTTER AGAIN...

How fabulous is this, I cannot believe how quick and easy butter is to make, in just 5 minutes you will have your own homemade butter which is much more flavoursome creamy and decadently rich, well that is it for me I will never buy butter again...

The instructions that came with the churn said 10-12 minutes of churning, I thought I had butter after 2 minutes but this being my first time churning I carried on for another minute and then relied on my inexperience at making butter and my experience as a cook to judge the situation, as I thought I was right I had separated the buttermilk from the cream leaving butter in the jar, I am guessing I might be a quicker churner than the instructions expected !

Equipment: Kilner Butter Churn or Electric Whisk / Butter Paddles or Equivalent

Churning Time 3-5 minutes / Patting Time 2 minutes


Ingredients
(makes 250g)

500ml double cream (organic)
1 tsp Himalayan Sea salt (optional)

Place the cream in your churner or in a small bowl if you are using a electric hand whisker or a kitchen aid and start to churn if you are using a electric whisk set the speed to the slowest.  First you will achieve thick whipped cream and the churning will be stiffer, keep going until the churning becomes easy again and this is where you will have separated the buttermilk from the cream leaving you with butter.


This is how your separated butter and buttermilk should look when you are ready to start the butter patting stage this is to squeeze out the remainder of buttermilk 


Drain off the buttermilk and keep in the fridge, this is what the best pancakes are made from, the buttermilk will keep for a couple of days.  Now the fun part of squeezing the remainder of buttermilk from the butter and at this stage you can salt and or flavour your butter with anything you fancy.  I will update on this, right now I fancy a Mexican zing as the corn in my garden is almost ready and I think I will flavour the butter with zesty lime, coriander and chilli for a Mexican butter coating for my corn on the cob.


If you do not have butter pats to hand then a pair of spatulas will suffice, place your squeezed butter on the worktop and roughly shape in to a rectangle then using the pats firm up the butter, wrap in grease proof paper and store in the fridge, this will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment