14 Jan 2018

BIGGEST HIGHEST PERFECT YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS

Fool Proof Yorkshire Puddings

I remember the first time and possibly several hundred more times I my Yorkshire's turned out as a rubbery floppy door mat instead of a tall light puffed up Yorkshire pudding, that's cool, I just called it a batter pudding and got on with it, then one day I decided to learn the proper method, it turns out its really simple a simple method that guarantees the perfect light tall Yorkshire puddings every time, well almost, user error is the only factor in this recipe that can render your puddings flat.

Prep time 5 minutes / Cooking time 20 minutes


Ingredients 
(Makes 12)

200g plain flour
200g eggs
200g milk
1 pinch sea salt
1 pinch white pepper

Firstly you want to make the yorkshire batter ahead of time so that it can rest on the side for three quarters of an hour or so, I don't like to rest my batter in the fridge, when I do I don't have as much success with height and lightness.  I also like my eggs at room temperature too, place the eggs and flour in a large jug and with a balloon whisk, whisk until you have a creamy smooth mixture, add the milk, salt and pepper and whisk again until all incorporated and lump free, you can pass this mixture through a sieve if you want, leave on this side at room temperature until needed.

Crank the oven up to 220 C / 430 F degrees in a yorkshire batter tin place a tsp of beef dripping in each tin section, pop the tin in the oven for 5 minutes to get super hot, now this bit is important for successfully high yorkshires, have your batter jug ready to pour give the batter a gentle stir, take the tin from the oven, close the door and as fast as is safe pour the batter into the tins, get this back in the oven as fast a possible and close the door! Total time should be under 20 seconds! Phew!  Under no circumstances can you open the oven door for the next 18-20 minutes, if you do the puddings will flop, while this is not the end of the world it means your yorkshires will be more of a softer floppy light Yorkshire pudding rather than a light airy crispy puff of a yorkshire pudding.


No comments:

Post a Comment