3 Apr 2018

GARAM MASALA HOME MADE

Wonderfully aromatic and a essential for any curry cook!  This is a recipe that has taken a while to perfect to my family's personal taste, the challange for me was the cloves, the are not my most favourite of flavours but I don't mind a background hint, but my family always manages to pick out that clove flavour in all the variations I have tried so far... and we all love cardamom so I wanted to find a balance of traditional, honest flavour that they we would all love.  Feel free to slightly increase and decrease spices to your personal taste.


I love my spice tins, when I first got my tins I spent days searching for information on what spices are kept in the tins, I eventually learnt that you fill the spice tin with the spices your family use!

Ingredients 
1 tsp whole cloves
20 cardamom seeds only
tsp black peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp corinader seeds
1 whole nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1 inch cinnamon bark

Place all the whole seeds ingredients, not the nutmeg or cinnamon in a dry frying pan or skillet and gently heat until they are toasty warm, remove and place in a coffee grinder or pestal and mortar and grind to a powder.  Surprisingly the nutmeg is easy to bash into small pieces that then grind down easily.  That's it use as your recipes require, keep in a ball mason jar for up to three months in your cupboard for no more than three months to ensure the freshest flavours.


Home Made Garam Masala


No comments:

Post a Comment