2 Oct 2023

HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY PEEL QUAIL EGGS

 How difficult can this be…
Well I never!  I will admit to almost giving up on cooking my own soft boiled quail eggs, I can buy them already just boiled from a local store and I love to have these in my fridge as a go to snack as I pass, but I really struggle to peel these oh so difficult quail eggs, as the set white always comes away with the shell.


Not Anymore !

As always the secret is in the method.

Apple cider vinegar !

For a soft boiled set white and runny yolk quail egg, bring a pan of water to a light bubbling simmer, gently place the quail eggs in the hot water and cook for 1 minute 30 seconds for a runny yolk, 2 minutes for a set yolk.

Remove from the pan and plunge into cold tap water, then place in a bowl of apple cider vinegar and soak for a couple of minutes.  The acid breaks down the shell and makes for easy peeling.

To peel the quail eggs, tap gently on your worktop a couple of times, then using the palm of your hand with gentle pressure roll the egg back and forward a couple of times, this will make the shell become like shattered glass, then just peel, the shell will come away from the egg smoothly, unlike before when chunks of egg white come away with the shell.

The vinegar will not flavour the egg, season with a little celery salt and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment