13 Dec 2012

HOMEMADE DONER KEBAB

 
 
Absolutely fabulous, loved every mouthful and so much cleaner and tastier
 
 
Hubby wanted me to replicate a kebab, we can't eat them from a kebab shop as we just don't like the quality, therefore I made him a mini kebab
 

 
Fresh, healthier and gorgeous
 
(makes 10)
 
Ingredients
800g mince lean lamb
1 onion finely diced
1 garlic grated
1 tbsp mixed herbs
2 good pinches of sea salt
1 good pinch ground black pepper
1 good pinch white pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
 
FOR THE XTRAS
Iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
Garlic mayonnaise
Chilli sauce
Kebab pickled chillies
Sliced raw onion
Sliced red cabbage
Sliced sauerkraut
 
To make the kebab, place the minced lamb in a large bowl and add all the seasoning and diced onion and grated garlic, mix by hand really well.  I like to pull off a tsp size and pan fry to check for seasoning, adjust if required. 
 
Form into the oblong shape and then lay on some tinfoil and roll up tight, I twist the ends to form a tighter packed sausage.  Place in a pre-heated oven 200 degrees for approx 25 minutes, then rest for 5 minutes and un-wrap, now I like to seal the meat in a non stick pan to add extra flavour and texture to the kebab, each time we slice off some meat I will re-sear the kebab to ensure that authentic flavour.
 
Take your pitta bread and warm in the oven, slice open and stuff with meat and salad and your personal choice of extra toppings,  for us we love the crunch of cold crisp lettuce and onion, the creaminess of the garlic mayo and the bite of the chilli sauce with the rich meat and then the final zing of a pickled chilli to finish of the perfect mouthful, guilt free.
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, never knew it was so easy to make your own kebab meat. I'm trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of making my own.
    I've got a rotisserie gizmo on my bbq that I haven't used for yonks. Looks like an experiment to try before winter is acoming in.
    My people will be in touch with your people if I get around to doing it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you all enjoy making, cooking and eating this great kebab, thanks for looking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm....... this was so much better than a store bought Kebab. Even the kids gobbled it up when normally they would not eat kebabs. Think I will be making my own from now own.

    ReplyDelete