4 Mar 2013

HICKORY SMOKEY CRUST FIRED PIT BEEF ROASTED SIRLOIN

 
I JUST LOVE COOKING A SIDE OF SIRLOIN OVER COALS ON MY LITTLE JAMAICAN COLE POT, THIS FOR ME IS ONE OF THE TASTIEST WAYS TO ROAST BEEF !
 
I have learnt so much from America on how to bbq, I now have some shells that I collected from the beach, then I bashed with a rolling pin in to a course gravel, I soaked these in water and then while cooking this pit beef if I started to worry that I am not control of the heat I now know to throw a handful of the wet shells on the coals as it tempers down the heat for a bit giving me back a degree of control.  I love learning methods.
 
Very simple to do, approx 3kg (because you want left overs!!!) thick end of the centre cut sirloin steak, I don't season this as the charcoal and flames will do all the seasoning for you in making the burnt end crust, this is sooo unbelievably full of fantastic flavour.  The first time I did this I was flapping around panicking that I had just set fire to a expensive piece of meat! (love my memories).  When cooking it is the skin side of the sirloin that will catch fire due to the fat rendering down, so don't panic like I did just turn the meet regularly, which will keep an even cooking temp and burnt end crust all over and still produced a rare cut.  Phew !!!
 
 
For 3kg side of sirloin I roast over white coals for approx 45 minutes and then wrap in tin foil and rest for 20 minutes, this is for rare to very rare.  If you want medium I would cook for another 20 minutes and then rest the same time. 
 
I want to express how gorgeous the melting flavours that this cooking methods gives you, the thin crispy smokey burnt ring on the outside of your slice of juicy steak that has been basted by it's own rendered fat, this flavour is divine, I like to have three or four thin slices of steak instead of one 10 oz piece of steak, with some fresh horseradish creme fraiche and simple butter new potatoes.
 
 
SIMPLICITY AT ITS BEST
 
 
 Super fantastic gorgeous dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment