28 Jun 2013

WOODFIRED CLAY OVEN CALZONE

ANOTHER PIZZA !!!
 
I am aware myself I must becoming a little boring blogging pizza pizza pizza oven & recipes, but I love it, I am so enjoying myself, lighting successful fires and cooking the best pizza's ever!  Waist has expanded considerably tho!!!  Don't worry I have a huge amount of other cooking to start playing with, I am working on a pork and apple cider dutch oven slow cooked cowboy dish and a lamb curry in a clay oven cole pot, so bear with me...:-)
 
 
Calzone, this cooked in under 2 minutes.

 
Gorgeous pepperoni and gooey buffalo mozzarella in a super thin crispy pizza case.
 
INGREDIENTS
 
FOR THE DOUGH
500g 00 strong flour
15g yeast
10g salt
50g ooil
320g water
 
FOR THE CALZONE FILLING
1 buffalo mozzarella ball
grated mozzarella
oregano tomato pizza sauce
sliced pepperoni
 
Mix all the dough ingredients together and using a rolling wave technique knead the dough by lifting the far side of the wet dough up and pulling towards you to create the crest of a wave shape then flop it forward rolling the edge under itself just like a wave behaves as it hits the beach.  This you only need to do for 7 minutes or so and the dough will become springy, if it is still sort of tacky don't worry.
 
 
I make this dough the night before or in the morning and place it covered in the fridge to prove nice and slow, this helps create a crispy base with a slight chewy texture.
 
When you are ready to make your pizza's bring the dough out of the fridge and divide into 6, leave to rest for 15 minutes to warm up slightly, this allows you to roll out the pizza base's without them trying to shrink back.
 
 
To make your pizza a calzone just fill only half and pull over the other side of the pizza base and crimp the edges together, and cook as you would your pizza.  The difference with a calzone it that the filling is really deep and gooey and oozy and sumptuous with a really thin crispy shell.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment