25 Feb 2018

BUTTER MAYONNAISE

This was one of those I wonder moments, it recently dawned on me that when I make hollandaise for that ultimate eggs benedict breakfast it is exactly the same as making mayonnaise except the fat in hollandaise is warm butter not olive oil and I cook out the egg yolks over a water bath, so can I make a buttery mayonnaise after all I don't cook out the egg yolk when I make mayonnaise?  I suppose this recipe is a play on words and is really a cold butter hollandaise masquerading as mayonnaise! 


Ingredients
300g hot melted clarified butter
2 egg yolks
1/2 juice lemon
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch Himalayan sea salt 
1 pinch white pepper

Brilliant results, this butter mayonnaise works so well with a chopped egg and warm bacon salad, Chicken Cesar salad and makes a really flavoursome twist on a bacon butty! Works great as a decedent dip for veggies too.  Serve hot and freshly made over steak and eggs.

In a large glass jug place the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard, whisk together then slowly start to drizzle the hot clarified butter in whisking all the time, once your egg yolks start to thicken and stabilise you can add the butter a little more quickly, once all the butter is incorporated season with the salt and pepper, use your spreadable dipping butter mayo with in a few days, store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment