19 Feb 2019

BUTTER HOMEMADE

How Cool is This...

I found a old french 1900 wooden butter churn in a local reclamation yard but is was highly over priced and even the over the top decedent Huguenot in me could not stretch to spending that amount on really beautiful and historic used product, however would I really have ever use this?  No it was definitely historically unhygienic!  As luck would have it a few weeks later at Sissinghurst Castle Farm I found a New Kilner Glass Butter Churner and I’ve never looked back!  You can purchase this Kilner butter churn on line easily.  

You do not need a butter churn to make butter, a hand or electric whisk will do the same job.  

Really simple and so easy to make your own butter in minutes, outstanding gorgeous and creamy and I was able to season my butter with Himalayan sea salt to my personal taste.  Store your homemade butter in the fridge wrapped in parchment paper, this will last a few weeks, but it wont last that long!


Ingredients
(makes 250g)

500ml double cream (organic)
1 tsp Himalayan Sea salt (optional)

Place the cream in your churner or in a small bowl if you are using a electric hand whisker or a kitchen aid and start to churn if you are using a electric whisk set the speed to the slowest.  First you will achieve thick whipped cream and the churning will be stiffer, keep going until the churning becomes loose again and this is where you will have separated the buttermilk from the cream leaving you with butter and buttermilk.


This is how your separated butter and buttermilk should look when you are ready to start the butter patting stage this is to squeeze out the remainder of buttermilk 



Drain off the buttermilk and keep in the fridge, this is what the best pancakes and scones are made from, the buttermilk will keep for a couple of days.  Now the fun part of squeezing the remainder of buttermilk from the butter and at this stage you can salt and or flavour your butter with anything you fancy.  I will update on this, right now I fancy a Mexican zing as the corn in my garden is almost ready and I think I will flavour the butter with zesty lime, coriander and chilli for a Mexican butter coating for my corn on the cob.


If you do not have butter pats to hand then a pair of spatulas will suffice, place your squeezed butter on the worktop and roughly shape in to a rectangle then using the pats firm up the butter, wrap in grease proof paper and store in the fridge, this will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment