19 Jan 2020

PRIME RIB FILLET WITH AWESOME AU JUS

Can I call this cooking?  All I did was season and open the oven!
I think this is my new favourite way to eat steak, I don’t know if I will go back, well maybe a butter seared peppered crust might do it!  Again it’s all in the method and really a almost no cooking required dinner, just opening the oven door and that’s about it!  Oh and a bit of maths!  Now I won’t fib I couldn’t help myself and I had to peel or chop something this is not necessary, but it will give the au jus so much more depth of flavour that I can’t get enough of with my prime rib.


The Maths
I would usually recommend a fore rib centre cut ribeye bone off approx 3kg / 6.61lbs but this time my butcher had a beautiful thick centre cut side of fillet that just screamed prime rib to me when I saw it, as the cooking is based on the weight of your cut of beef you have more flexibility on your choice of cuts.  I choose a 2kg/4.41lbs centre cut of fillet this time but I have also cooked a whole sirloin that also resulted in a perfect cooked prime rib and it’s all due to this equation!

Bring your steak out 3 hours before you are going to cook, this is really important for a successful prime rib and not to end up with roast beef or London broil.

Preheat your Oven to the highest 240 C - 250 C / 464 F - 482 F

The Cooking Calculation For My Steak Weight...
4.41lbs x 5 (minutes) per lb = 23 Cooking Minutes + 1 minute = 24 Exact Minutes
( The +1 minute is for oven temperature adjustment from the door being opened...YES it matters that much! )

Prep time 1 minute - 5 minutes / Cooking time 2hrs-24 minutes.
Equipment deep roasting tray with a rack

Ingredients 
(serves 6)

Prime Rib Fillet
2kg / 4.41 lbs centre cut fillet steak
150g butter room temperature 
1 tbsp Himalayan sea salt 
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper 
Au Jus
4 carrots roughly chopped
1 onion in quarters
1 leek roughly chopped
2 ribs of celery roughly chopped
1 bulb of garlic cut in half
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs of thyme
10 whole black peppercorns
1 ltr water or red wine

Pre heat your oven to its highest setting, 220, 230, 240 or 250 C / 482 F for at least one hour in advance.

Take your roasting tray and place your steak in the centre, unless like me you feel the need to add extra flavour layers to the au jus then place the au jus stock ingredients in the bottom of the roasting tray, add the water or wine.  Season the steak with salt and pepper then generously spread the soft butter all over the steak, place into the centre of the roasting tray.

Place in the oven as fast as possible and from this point forward DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR, if you do you will get roast beef not prime rib.  Set the timer for your maths cooking time, when this time is up, TURN THE OVEN OFF !  DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR AT ALL!  After two hours your prime rib is ready to serve, it will be warm but not hot.  If you want your steak cooked more medium rare then just heat the steak in the au jus to your liking.

That is it, so simple the prime rib cooks itself.  You can bake some potatoes or make a gorgeous creamy buttery mashed potatoes, salad or vegetables to serve with your prime rib without the pressure of cooking timings as you know that the perfect prime rib is doing it’s own thing.  

The Au Jus
I often blitz the mirepoix vegetables into all the au jus resting juices stock gravy for maximum flavour, this is optional and will give you a slightly thicker gravy or you can simply strain the cooking juices, add a knob of butter and taste for seasoning.  Optional I always have a side of horseradish too.


No comments:

Post a Comment