4 Sept 2017

MOULES A LA CREME SOUP

This is almost dangerous!  Warning keep your spoons locked up!  This dish came about by accident, I brought some fresh mussels from our local seafood beach shack for a moules classic French style Sunday lunch, but when I went to clean them there was buckets loads, I guess weighed wrong 2 kg required but ended up with 3 kg!  We can eat mussels until their coming out our ears but even that is pushing a portion a bit far!

So mussels two days in a row, not a problem, but the naughty part of me wanted a decedent but light lemon and cream sauce, once my spoon went in that was it I could and would not stop, such a rich and sumptuous little bowl of heaven, the greedy part of me loves all the mussels out of the shell so that my spoon is uninterrupted delivering spoon after spoon of gorgeousness without any delay.

Prep time 10 mins / Cooking time 5 minutes


Ingredients 
(Serves 2)

1 kg fresh live mussels
1 onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic finely diced
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp coriander chopped
100ml good quality dry white wine
100ml double cream
1/2 lemon juiced 
1 pinch black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 fresh red chilli optional

Heat a saucepan medium heat, add the coconut oil, onions and garlic and cook for five minutes until softened, add the turmeric, black pepper then turn up the heat to medium hot, add the mussels and stir in for a minute or so then add the wine, pop a lid on and leave to steam for around 3 minutes, take the lid off and add the cream and lemon juice, lid back on and shake the pan to mix the cream and wine with the mussels.

Cook for a further minute to heat the cream to simmering, take off the heat, throw in the coriander and chilli, toss once more and serve, this is where I like to take a minute to remove all the hot hot hot mussels from their shells and pop them back in to the sauce so that I can spoon eat.  That's it your done, enjoy.  I don't eat any grains or starch anymore :-(  / :-) (keeps me a small girl not a 23 stone big girl !) but in my past I loved to soak up all the juices with slices of sour dough bread and frites, after the spoon feast.  Serve this as is or your own way with lots of fresh bread and a pile of fries for extra dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment