21 Sept 2017

PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED MUSHROOM MEATLOAF

BEST EVER MEATLOAF
This is one of my best ever meatloaf recipes, moist succulent and brilliantly flavoursome, being British but living as much as I can in the US I am learning to love meatloaf, now chicken fried steak, Idaho mashed potatoes a side of more mash and country gravy that I am in love with but meatloaf not as much hence I always order my favourite dish at my Husbands local diner where he will always orders the blue plate special meatloaf, I will admit it is so succulent that I do wonder why I want to eat his meal but I never order it but then how can I when they have chicken fried steak.  How can I not... But it did make me think how I could get the meatloaf that moist and tasty at home for my family.  After a bit of homework I got it, its mushrooms just like the secret to a perfect British Beef Wellington, a mushroom layer that adds moisture and brillant flavour.

Prep time 5 minutes / Sautéing time 10 / Oven time 30-40 minutes


Ingredients 
(Makes 6 individuals)

500g ground chuck steak
1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
10 mushrooms chestnut diced
1 onion finely diced
2 garlic finely diced
1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup flaxseed (gluten free) OR
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
6 slices Prosciutto Parma ham

Heat a skillet medium hot, add the oil and gently soften the onions, garlic and mushrooms for around five minutes, take off the heat and leave to cool slightly while you get on with the meatloaf mince.  Pre heat your oven to 180 C / 370 F and place a shallow roasting tin full of water in the bottom of the oven, this will keep the oven moist and create a little steam which will help keep the meatloaf really moist.

Place the rest of the ingredients except the prosciutto in a large mixing bowl and using your hands mix thoroughly, add the slightly cooled mushrooms and mix in.  Take your muffin tin and line six with the prosciutto leaving some hanging over both sides.

Take a handful of your meatloaf mix and squeeze together then place in the prosciutto lined muffing tin, press in to all the corners and wrap the over hanging prosciutto over the top the of the meatloaf to make a parcel.  Repeat with the rest.

Pop in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes, if you have a cooking probe you will want the centre of the meatloaf to be above 85 degrees, I use the prodding method, if it bounces its cooked, if it squishes it needs a little longer.

Take out and leave to rest for a few minutes before serving, these are great as on the go food or for fridge raiders! 

No comments:

Post a Comment