30 Dec 2011

FESTIVE CHRISTMAS EVE PREPERATION FOR THE BIG DAY


GLORIOUS 27lb LOCAL HEN BIRD



TRIPLE GIBLETS PAN FRIED WITH CARROTS, ONION, CELERY & LEEKS FOR THE BASE TO THE DEEPEST FLAVOURED GRAVY


GENTLY SIMMERING & REDUCING AWAY TO INTENSIFY THE FLAVOUR IN THE STOCK GRAVY


PORK CHIPOLATA'S WRAPPED IN PANCETTA


SAUSAGE AND SAGE ONION STUFFING WRAPPED IN PANCETTA

CHRISTMAS EVENING
This is a magical evening for my family, we take our time to loosen the skin off the hen bird and stuff two packs of butter under the skin of the turkey, this is and has always been my fathers job, mother & I peel the potato's and trim the brussel sprouts, my husband is in charge of helping Santa fill our son's stocking and to keep the wine flowing, carrots and parsnips are peeled and trimmed ready to cook and cauliflower cheese is made ready for the big day. 

Once everyone is settled for the evening I start on the best gravy ever, I pan fry the giblets, I always ask my butcher or game keeper for extra giblets as my husband insists on pints of gravy, in a little ooil and butter, add in some diced carrots, onions, leeks and celery, sweat off for approx 30 minutes and then add 450ml of white wine and reduce, top up with 4.5ltrs of home made turkey or chicken stock from the wings and legs of the turkey or chicken roasted off in a oven with stock veg and water for 1hr.  Add some bay leaves from the tree in the garden and a few whole black peppercorns and leave to simmer away till reduced by half.  Strain and reserve for the turkey cooking juices tomorrow.

The last job is to sprinkle MAGIC ELF AND OAT DUST on our lawn so that Santa's reindeer's can find our home and fill our son's stocking with lots of pirate goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment